Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Barbie's Anniversary

Note: This is not my accomplishment, but it is my dear mothers.

A couple years ago my mom started a project. She belongs to a quilt guild that was having a summer contest. Everyone had to make a quilt and they would all get to judge them at the end of the summer. The theme was: "The Little Things." She immeadiately thought of a barbie shoe. 6 months latter this is what she had taken that first thought to. She has displayed it in a few different quilt shows. The latest was last weekend in Manteca, CA. The Manteca quilt guild happens to be good friends with the famous quilting TV star, Alex Anderson who has been present and participating in a few Quilt Shows around here. Last fall I attended one in Livermore where my mom got to meet her and show her some pictures of her fabulous Quilt. Alex Anderson was impressed and was excited to see it in person at the Manteca Show. Monday night we discovered this on Alex Anderson's TV Show Blog:

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/1758

Check it out and let me know what you think of my mom's hard work. Those are actually real Barbie dols attached to the 3D quilt. She not only made all the different compartments herself, but she made each Barbie's clothes too. She is quite thorough when she dresses Barbie so all of them (except one) has underwear and a bra on that she also made herself. There are a few other interesting little facts about the quilt, some of them are listed at the end of the slide show but there are a few more detailed things that I'll have her explain in a comment because she put so much work into this and the things she used to make it look this awesome are quite entertaining. My mom is planning on showing it in one or two more quilt shows and then selling it on Ebay. I had no idea it was Barbie's Anniversary but maybe that will make it sell for more.

I enjoyed reading the comments people made to the blog. Not many were about the quilt itself but about Barbie in general and were interesting to me. Especially when they talk about the old dolls and their names because my mom had most of those ones. Ricky, Allen, Tutti, etc. She actually kept them in a box in the top of her closet with all the clothes she made for them when she was growing up because she didn't want us to break them. But me and my sister would always sneak in there and get them out of the box and play with them. We were always so careful with them because they were antiques. I guess to a 10 year old 35 years sounds old.

Enjoy!

No comments: