Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo

Ok, this picture was taken the first time I made this a few months ago. I've made it several times since then and I love it. It's so simple yet I still feel like I'm cooking something fancy. My mother in law gave me this recipe book called, 'Campbell's 1-2-3 Dinner.' Here is their recipe and then I'll tell you the changes I made.
1/2 package uncooked linguine (8 ounces)

1 cup fresh or frozen brocoli flowerets

2 tablesppns butter or margarine

1 pound skinless, bonless chicken breasts, cubed

1 can 103/4 ounces) Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


1. Prepare linguine according to package directions. Add broccoli for last 4 minutes of cook time. Drain.

2. In medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter, Add chicken and cook until browned, stirring often.

3. Add soup, milk, cheese, pepper and linguine misture and cook through, stirring occassionally. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 servings.


I'm not a huge fan of linguine or any other type of long noodle, only in spaghetti and even then I don't enjoy it all over my chin. So I changed the pasta to rotini (or corkscrew) because I like it better and it's easier for the kids to stab themselves. Even though we are pretty much considered a family of 4 (3 adults plus 2 kids) I usually double the recipe witch means 16 ounces of pasta. I also put in way more than a cup of broccoli and less than half a pound of chicken. (We are trying to cut down meats and add more vegies.) I kind of forgot about the milk and the butter when I made it again so I guess those aren't completely neccesary ingredients, but I also use one of the family size cans of Mushroom soup so that probably accounted for the lost milk. Since I doubled most everything else I also double the cheese and pepper sometime adding even more cheese.

I'm usually not a fan of pepper but it really added to the flavor of this meal. I tried too put the pepper in as one of the first things to the sauce so that it had time to simmer throughout rather than being real strong in certain spots. All in all it's my favorite mean to make right now so I hope you all try it and enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: