Friday, January 16, 2009

New Hobby

One of my friends from the ward is super awesome at Scrapbooking and Cardmaking and has ALL the fancy do-dads to go with it. Since this is an area I feel I am lacking in she let me come over to her house (several months ago) to make some wedding cards. Watching her work was amazing and it opened something inside of me where I was like, "Wow, I think I could actually do this and be good at it." Not as good as her of course but decent enough for my own standards.

The reason I didn't like Scrapbooking before is because I have to do something different for each page or else it's boring and I don't have that many creative juices all at once. But Cardmaking is a whole different story. Because you can come up with one idea and copy it several times because they are going to different people. Assembly lines and patterns are something I AM good at.

So after that, I went and raided my moms house for fancy paper, buttons, ribbon, lace and whatever else I could talk her out of that could go on a card. But I had too many things going on at the time and restrictfully never allowed myself to get out the mess. Then my parents decided to move (downsize) and wanted to know if I would babysit her stamp collection. So I got ALL of her stamps, stamp pads, embossing stuff, and whatever else goes allong with that craft. But still... I didn't allow myself to get out the mess because there was way too much going on.

However since I am the Relief Society Secretary I thought it would be nice to send a handmade birthday card out to each sister this next year. I finally allowed myself to get out just enough to make a few cards to start off the year and this is what I came up with.

The bear on the front is raised up a little and the star and the square are little gems that I glued on. I colored in the bear with colors that matched the paper I was using so that it wouldn't be too busy. The only thing I think I could have done differently is embossed the "Happy Birthday" stamp but I wasn't really prepared to get out that big of a mess right then.

The inside says, "Sending you warmest wishes on your special day."

This was the back that said, "When you care enough... you make it yourself!"

I had fun doing it and am looking forward to doing it at least once every week or so this next year. And I'm sure as time goes on I'll get better and more creative. I might take pictures of them all but I probably won't post them all on here because what if they are for you?

No comments: